RISIS-ETER Policymaker session on gender equity and career structures in higher education institutions
21 June 2023, 2 to 5 pm (Webinar)
The societal demand for high quality higher education and for new knowledge continues to grow, placing unprecedented challenges to European universities. In particular, the issues of career of academic personnel and of the persistent gender gap are attracting large attention.
The webinar is jointly promoted by the European Research Infrastructure for Science, technology and Innovation policy Studies (RISIS) and the European Tertiary Education Register (ETER), a systematic and updated collection of official microdata on all higher education institutions in Europe, supported by DG EAC of the European Commission.
The round tables will discuss preliminary data on academic personnel at all European universities, with a focus on breakdowns by level of career and by gender. Policy makers, university administrators, researchers, as well as civil society and stakeholders are invited to attend.
14.00 – 14.15 Opening speech: Promoting excellence, equality and mobility for all personnel at European higher education
Kinga Szuly, Head of Sector, European Commission, Directorate-General for Education, Youth, Sport and Culture
14.15 – 14.30 Presentation of the ETER Policy Brief on data and indicators on gender, academic personnel and academic careers
Andrea Bonaccorsi, University of Pisa
14.30 – 15.30 Session 1: Exploring the academic gender gap at the microlevel. Evidence from ETER data
- Frederique Sachwald, Director, OST Paris
- Cinzia Daraio, Università Roma La Sapienza
- Alesia Zuccala, University of Copenhagen
15.30 – 16.30 Session 2: Preliminary evidence on academic personnel and careers at European higher education and the way forward
- Thomas Estermann, European University Association
- Tatiana Fumasoli, Director, Centre for Higher Education Studies, University College London
- Marek Kwiek, Director, Institute for Advanced Studies in Social Sciences and Humanities, University of Poznan
16.30 – 17.00 Concluding statements and the way forward
- Pauline Ravinet, Policy Officer, European Commission, Directorate-General for Education, Youth, Sport and Cultura
- Andrea Bonaccorsi, University of Pisa
- Benedetto Lepori, ETER coordinator, Università della Svizzera Italiana